Senegal thrashed Mali 3-0 to win the maiden edition of the 2020 women’s West Africa Football Union Zone A tournament at the Wusum Stadium in Makeni on Sunday.
Despite the defeat, runners-up Mali was impressive at the tournament. However, Les Lions de la Téranga ladies proved too strong in the final match as they walloped their francophone counterparts to lift the trophy.
Three goals from Ndeye Diakhate, Mbayang Sow and Haby Balde in the 27th, 55th and 69th minutes respectively ensure they secure a comfortable unbeaten run en route to lifting the trophy.
Host Sierra Leone was knocked out after their opening three draws in the group stage against Cape Verde, Guinea and winners Senegal.
Its was a success story as the colourful grand final at the Wusum Mini Stadium in Makeni, was witnessed by prominent stakeholders from WAFU and Sierra Leone. Notably, the President of SLFA Madam Isha Johansen, the Minister of Sports in Sierra Leone Ibrahim Nyelenkeh, Librarian FA President and Vice President of WAFU Mustapha I. Rajii, Mali FA Vice President Kassoum Coulibaly, WAFU Secretary-General Jammeh Bojan, Sierra Leone FA Vice President Brima Manzola Kamara, Northern Region FA Chairman Brima Jalloh and many others.
Eight nations participated in the competition played across two cities Bo and Makeni in Sierra Leone from February 25 to March 7.
The teams are host Sierra Leone, Guinea, Cape Verde, Senegal, Mali, Gambia, Liberia and Guinea Bissau.
Tournament awards are as follows:
Malian Striker Agueissa Diarra won the Golden Boot with 7 goals.
Senegalese winger Mama Diop won Best Player of the tournament.
Senegalese goalkeeper Tenning Sene won the Golden Glove.
Guinea National Team won WAFU Fair Play.
Zone-A Women’s WAFU 2020 Championship Full Results and Matches
Group A 25.02.2020
- Sierra Leone 0-0 Cape Verde – Bo Stadium
- Guinea 0-1 Senegal – Makeni Mini Stadium
Group A 27.02.2020
- Cape Verde 0-1 Senegal – Bo Stadium
- Sierra Leone 0-0 Guinea – Bo Stadium
Group A 01.03.2020
- Senegal 1-1 Sierra Leone – Bo Stadium
- Guinea 0-3 Cape Verde – Makeni Stadium
Group B: 26.02.2020
- Mali 6-0 The Gambia – Makeni Stadium
- Liberia 4-0 Guinea Bissau – Makeni Stadium
- Liberia 0-3 Mali – 2:00 pm – Makeni Stadium
- The Gambia 2-5 Guinea Bissau – Makeni Stadium
29.02.2020 – Break
- Guinea Bissau 0- 2 Mali -Bo Stadium
- The Gambia 1-2 Liberia
Semi-Finals 4th March 2020
- Mali 4-0 Cape Verde – Makeni Stadium
- Senegal 2-1 Liberia – Bo Stadium
Third Place 7th Match 2020
- Liberia 1-0 Cape Verde Makeni Stadium
Grand Final 7th March 2020
- Mali 0-3 Senegal Wusum Makeni Stadium
Senegal 🇸🇳 Crowned winners of maiden Women's WAFU Cup in Sierra Leone 🇸🇱 pic.twitter.com/QetVzy85bp
— FSL News website (@football_sierra) March 7, 2020
Connect with us @football_sierra, on Facebook/ Instagram Football Sierra Leone, the writer @bittar32 Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.