The football world mourned Sierra Leone disaster after Monday’s deadly mudslide and flooding on the outskirts of the country’s capital, Freetown.
World football governing body, FIFA, as well as the Confederation of Africa Football, CAF, and football Legend David Beckham, have all paid tribute to the victims and families of the Monday’s disaster in Freetown.
Grieving families were also joined by tens of thousands of sympathizers in the football fraternity as they continue to mourn the tragic loss.
“It was with great sadness we learned of the tragic mudslide of last Monday, which caused the death of hundred players and destroyed the lives of thousands, Fifa stated in a letter to the Sierra Leone Football Association, SLFA.
“On behalf of the international football community, I would like to join you in expressing my deepest sympathies to the families of the victims, the injured and those still missing, as well as my solidarity with the people of Sierra Leone at this time of great mourning.
The Fifa president Gianni Infantino added: “Our thoughts are with all of the families and communities.”
CAF president, Ahmad Ahmad in his letter to the SLFA said: “At the time when the people of Sierra Lone sorely hit in his flesh mudslides and landslides resulting from deaths, I would like on my behalf and on behalf of the family of African football to express my total solidarity and an overwhelming sense of sadness.”
Manchester United’s legend and former England skipper, David Beckham in his message said: “Right now, my thoughts are with all those affected by the devastating flooding and mudslides in Sierra Leone. I had the chance to visit the country nearly ten years ago with UNICEF.
“I have so many memories of the incredible children and families I met. UNICEF teams are on the ground right now, working with the government and partner organizations to help provide life-saving support to children and families affected. When disasters like this strike, UNICEF is able to respond quickly to help protect children.”
The pain is terrible as Sierra Leone Ministry of Sports and National Sports Council joined others to observe a minute silent prayer for the victims on Wednesday.
It’s difficult to ascertain the exact figures but latest figures from authorities indicated that over 250 bodies with other body parts have been found so far while over 2000 people are currently displaced.
Sierra Leone’s President Ernest Bai Koroma on Wednesday together with other dignitaries from the diplomatic and consular core visited the site of a mudslide.
Follow Us On Twitter @football_sierra