- FT: Sierra Leone 1 – 0 Liberia. Siaka Steven Stadium
- African World Cup 2022 Qualifiers
- First African qualifying ties for Qatar 2022 completed on Sunday
- Four teams win through to the second round
- Ethiopia, Tanzania, Equatorial Guinea and Liberia the quartet in question
Striker Kei Kamara’s 55th-minute strike was not enough as Lone Star progressed through a 3-2 aggregate victory into the group stages round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup African Qualifiers.
Sierra Leone was ahead in Freetown with a fine goal through their MLS striker Kei Kamara, but trailing the first-round tie 3-2 overall. Another goal could have allowed them to progress on the away-goals rule.
Skipper Umaru Bangura pictured have the last chance to send the Leone Stars through after the hosts were awarded a late penalty.
However, the FC Zurich defender stepped up but failed to take full advantage of the last-gasp opportunity as Lone Star’s hero keeper Ashley Williams made a decisive save on Sunday.
There was no goal in the first half at the Siaka Steven Stadium on Sunday between host Sierra Leone and their visitors Lone Stars of Liberia.
Liberia 3-1 first-leg victory in the Mano River Union derby last Wednesday was pivotal.
- Lesotho 1-1 Ethiopia (1-1 on aggregate, Ethiopia win on away goals)
- Tanzania 1-1 Burundi (2-2 on aggregate, Tanzania win 3-0 on penalties)
- Sierra Leone 1-0 Liberia (Liberia win 3-2 on aggregate)
- Equatorial Guinea 1-0 South Sudan (Equatorial Guinea win 2-1 on aggregate)
Watch the Sierra Leone v Liberia highlights!
Connect with us @football_sierra, on Facebook/ Instagram Football Sierra Leone, the writer Prince Scott @PrinceArmaniSc2.