Author: Alie Bittar @bittar32

Youngster Jalil Conteh signs first professional contract

Youngster Jalil Conteh signs first professional contract

Youngster Jalil Conteh has signed his first professional contract with AFC Bournemouth. The 17-year-old will stay with the club until at least the summer of 2028.

Conteh joined Bournemouth on a scholarship six months ago after leaving Chelsea. Since then, he has impressed in both the under-18 team and the development squad.

“I’m really happy,” Conteh said about his contract. “I have worked hard for this, and I thank God for the opportunity. This is my dream since childhood. I won’t take it for granted; I will keep going and pushing.”

He added, “I’ve settled here now and I’m really enjoying it. I like the exciting counter-attacking football the club plays. The first team shares a philosophy with the academy, which is important to me. I just want to stay fit, avoid injuries, and put in good performances. If I score goals, everything else will come in time.”

Sam Gisborne, the Head of Academy, said, “Jalil joined us from Chelsea last summer. He had a small injury but has returned and made an impact in the FA Youth Cup. He has also played for our development squad several times.”

Adil Boulbina's last-gasp striker won it for Algeria

Adil Boulbina’s last-gasp strike won it for Algeria

Algeria moved on to the Africa Cup of Nations after a late goal from substitute Boulbina. He worked with Zerrouki before cutting inside and scoring a stunning shot into the top corner.

This was the 22-year-old’s first goal for Algeria and a crucial goal that helped his team reach the tournament quarter-finals, where they will face Nigeria on Friday.

In a tense match that ended goalless in regular time, Boulbina scored the winning goal in the 118th minute, just five minutes after he came off the bench. He made a strong run inside from the right and curled a great shot past the goalkeeper, Lionel Mpasi-Nzau, who had kept DR Congo in the game for most of the match.

Despite neither team scoring a goal in the first 90 minutes, the match went to extra time as both teams struggled to find the net. The Algerians managed to find a way to win.

The goal finally broke the deadlock between two closely matched teams that had cancelled each other out during regular time and the early part of extra time. The game was marked by discipline, physical play, and missed opportunities.

Algeria started strong, controlling the ball and being aggressive, but they had difficulty creating clear chances against the solid Congolese defence. Mpasi-Nzau, the DR Congo goalkeeper, was not tested much in the first half.

DR Congo looked dangerous on counterattacks. Cedric Bakambu nearly scored in the first half, forcing Luca Zidane into a good save. Then, Axel Tuanzebe’s header from the resulting corner went just wide.

Algeria is now set to compete in the quarter-finals against Nigeria in Marrakesh, as their pursuit of a second AFCON title in six years gains traction.

Sierra Leone's Amadou Bakayoko signs a new Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo deal

Sierra Leone’s Amadou Bakayoko signs a new Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo deal

Sierra Leone International Amadou Bakayoko has signed a new one-and-a-half-year contract with J League 2 side Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo, valid until summer 2027.

The former Bolton, Coventry City, and Dundee attacker initially joined Consadole Sapporo on 28 July 2024. He made his debut on 16 August as a substitute and scored his first goal from the penalty spot in a 5–3 win over Sagan Tosu.

On December 1, 2024, Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo was relegated to the J2 League after spending seven years in the top tier.  

The club, which is currently participating in the Japanese League 2, aims to ensure stability in their attacking lineup, which is why they’ve chosen to retain the striker known for his impressive goal-scoring ability.  

This season, he has netted seven goals while playing in the Japanese second league with Sapporo.

Osimhen and Lookman score as Nigeria cruise into quarter-finals

Osimhen and Lookman help Nigeria cruise to AFCON quarter-finals

Victor Osimhen scored two goals as Nigeria easily defeated Mozambique 4-0 in the Africa Cup of Nations on Monday. This win took Nigeria to the quarter-finals.

Ademola Lookman, a former African footballer of the year like Osimhen, scored the first goal after 20 minutes. He also assisted in the other three goals. Osimhen began the match without his usual mask but put it on before scoring his second goal in the 25th minute. He scored again just after halftime, while Akor Adams rounded off the win.

This 4-0 victory is the largest margin in an AFCON knockout match since Egypt defeated Algeria 4-0 in the semi-finals in 2010. After missing the World Cup, Nigeria aims to continue their journey, facing either Algeria or the Democratic Republic of Congo in the quarter-finals on Saturday.

Mozambique reached the knockout stage for the first time after qualifying as one of the best third-placed teams in the group stage. They were outmatched by a strong Nigerian team that featured several regular starters, as coach Eric Chelle rotated his lineup in their previous 3-1 victory against Uganda.

Lookman, who had scored in the win against Tunisia, gave Nigeria the lead as the first half approached. Alex Iwobi passed the ball to Adams on the left side of the box, who then set up Lookman to score.

Lookman then assisted Osimhen with a cross in the 25th minute, allowing Osimhen to score easily. Osimhen was unharmed after a challenge where a Mozambique player hit him in the stomach.

Lookman’s cross in the 47th minute was finished by Osimhen, making it 3-0 and ending any chance of a Mozambique comeback. After going without scoring in seven AFCON matches, Osimhen now has three goals in this tournament.

Lookman wasn’t done yet; he assisted Adams with about 30 minutes to go, and Adams scored with a powerful shot into the net.

Mohamed Salah nets extra-time goal to help Egypt beat Benin

Mohamed Salah nets extra-time goal to help Egypt beat Benin

Egypt's football team reached the quarter-finals of the Africa Cup of Nations by defeating Benin 3-1 after extra time with goals from .Marwan Attia Fahim Ghallab, Yasser Ibrahim Ahmed El Hanafi and Mohamed Salah, respectively.

The match took place in Agadir, Morocco. Marwan Atteya and Yasser Ibrahim scored their first international goals, while Mohamed Salah added his 10th goal in the tournament.

Atteya scored the first goal in the 69th minute. Benin’s Jodel Dossou equalised in the 83rd minute, forcing the game into extra time. In the extra period, Atteya assisted Ibrahim’s header in the 97th minute, putting Egypt back in the lead. Salah sealed the victory with a goal in the second half of extra time.

Unlike their previous match against Angola, where they fielded a less experienced team, Egypt started with their top players. Winger Ibrahim Adel replaced Ahmed “Zizo” Sayed in the lineup.

Egypt showed their attacking strength early on. Salah set up Omar Marmoush, but Marmoush’s shot was saved by Benin’s goalkeeper, Marcel Dandjinou, in the seventh minute. Marmoush had another chance in the 20th minute, but a defender cleared it.

Benin also created chances, but Egypt’s defence and goalkeeper kept them at bay. Both teams made substitutions in the first half. Benin’s Aiyegun Tosin left due to a muscle injury, while Egypt’s Mohamed Hamdy was stretchered off with a knee injury just before halftime, and Ahmed Fatouh came on for him.

Egypt missed a good chance early in the second half when Rami Rabia’s close-range shot went wide after deflections. Just before the 60-minute mark, Egypt made two changes: Emam Ashour replaced Ibrahim Adel, and Ahmed “Zizo” Sayed came on for the injured Mahmoud “Trezeguet” Hassan. Mohamed El-Shennawy kept the score level by saving a close shot from Dossou.

Atteya finally scored in the 69th minute after a one-two with Salah and Mohamed Hany, marking his first goal in 29 international matches. Benin responded by pushing for an equaliser and got one when Dossou followed up a deflected shot from Fatouh in the 83rd minute.

Salah had a chance to win the game in regular time, but his shot was saved. Seven minutes of added time passed without a winner. In extra time, Ibrahim’s header in the first minutes put Egypt back in front, his first goal in 12 matches. Benin tried to equalise again but couldn’t break through Egypt’s solid defence. Salah finished off the game with a lob goal in the final minutes after being assisted by Zizo.

Egypt will face either the Ivory Coast or Burkina Faso in the quarter-finals on Friday.

Tunisia axe Sami Trabelsi after Cup of Nations exit

Tunisia have axed Sami Trabelsi after their Cup of Nations exit

Tunisia's coach, Sami Trabelsi, has been dismissed just a day after the team suffered a defeat against Mali in the last 16 of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon).

Despite facing only 10 men for over 90 minutes in a match that extended into extra time, the 2004 champions were unable to secure a victory.

Early in the game, Mali’s Woyo Coulibaly received a red card, giving Tunisia an advantage, but they went ahead late, taking the lead in the 88th minute.

Unfortunately, they conceded a penalty in the sixth minute of stoppage time and ultimately faltered during the ensuing shootout.

The Tunisian Football Federation announced on social media that they had “decided to part ways by mutual consent” with the national team’s coaching staff.

Trabelsi, 57, had returned for a second spell in charge of the Carthage Eagles last February after resigning in 2013, following a disappointing early exit from Afcon. In the recent tournament in Morocco, Tunisia finished second in Group C, starting with a 3-1 victory over Uganda, but later lost 3-2 to Nigeria and drew 1-1 with Tanzania.

Reflecting on their exit against Mali, Trabelsi expressed that it brought “great disappointment and pain,” acknowledging that as coach, he definitely bore the responsibility for the team’s performance.

Brahim Diaz helps Morocco reach AFCON 2025 quarter-finals

Brahim Diaz helps Morocco reach AFCON 2025 quarter-finals

Morocco reached the quarter-finals of the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations 2025 by defeating Tanzania 1–0 in Rabat on Sunday. Brahim Diaz scored the only goal in the second half.

The match was challenging for the hosts, who controlled the game but struggled to create clear scoring chances against a strong Tanzanian defence.

Morocco, captained by Achraf Hakimi, started strong but struggled to score against a well-defending Tanzania. A goal from Ismail Saibari in the 24th minute was ruled offside by VAR, leaving the first half goalless.

After halftime, Morocco increased their urgency, with key moments like Diaz forcing a corner and El Khannouss shooting over the bar. Tanzania almost took the lead in the 56th minute with a missed opportunity from Feisal Toto.

Morocco finally broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute when Diaz scored from a tight angle, marking his fourth goal of the tournament and leading Morocco to a 1-0 victory. They advance to the quarter-finals, where they’ll face the winner of South Africa vs. Cameroon.

Diaz, named Man of the Match, acknowledged the challenge, while Tanzania’s coach, Miguel Ángel Gamondi, expressed pride in his team’s performance.

Morocco’s head coach, Walid Regragui, praised the second-half effort and noted the injury to key player Azzedine Ounahi, emphasizing the team’s determination to succeed.

Senegal through to AFCON quarter-final after defeating Sudan

Senegal through to AFCON quarter-finals after defeating Sudan

Senegal staged a remarkable comeback to secure their place in the quarter-finals of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, triumphing over Sudan with a 3-1 victory at the Grande de Tanger stadium on Saturday.

The match got off to a surprising start, with Sudan taking the lead just six minutes into the game. Aamir Abdallah showcased his striking prowess, netting a well-placed shot that caught the Senegalese defence off guard and sent their supporters into a frenzy.

For the first 25 minutes, Sudan appeared firmly in control, showing confidence and creating opportunities that had the Senegalese side on the defensive.

However, the tide began to turn in the 29th minute when Pape Gueye, a midfielder from Villarreal, found the back of the net, levelling the score and shifting the momentum in favour of Senegal.

He struck again just before halftime in the 45th minute, leaving the Sudanese players shaken and struggling to regain their composure.

As the second half unfolded, Senegal continued to assert their dominance, with Ibrahim Mbaye adding a third goal in a decisive moment, solidifying the Senegalese lead and effectively putting the match beyond Sudan’s reach.

In the final stages of the match, despite being three goals up with just five minutes remaining, the Senegalese team remained aggressive and tenacious, fighting for every ball with determination.

This perseverance was epitomised moments later when Pape Gueye was substituted off for Pathe Ciss after preparing to take a corner from the left side.

Tunisia and Mali set for a cracking AFCON knockout contest

Tunisia and Mali set for a cracking AFCON knockout contest

Brave Mali set to go up against North African opposition Tunisia in the round of 16 at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, taking place at Mohamed V Stadium in Casablanca on Saturday.

Mali advanced to the knockout phase by finishing second in Group A, securing two draws against Zambia and Morocco, and a goalless draw against Comoros. Despite being unbeaten, they didn’t achieve any victories in the group.

In their last six competitive matches, Mali has shown tough composure, with two wins and four draws. Historically, they are consistent AFCON performers, frequently reaching the knockout stages, though they have yet to win the tournament.

Tunisia reached the round of 16 by finishing second in Group C, starting with a 3-1 victory over Uganda, followed by a loss to Nigeria and a draw with Tanzania. Their group stage performance highlighted both attacking potential and defensive vulnerabilities.

Tunisia’s depth of experience in the Africa Cup of Nations, including their previous title in 2004, gives them an advantage as they approach the knockout stage of football.

Both teams have faced each other 13 times since 1994, with Tunisia winning six matches, Mali four, and three ending in draws. Recent meetings have been closely contested.

Mali’s head coach, Tom Saintfiet, made four changes to the lineup that drew with Morocco. However, they will be without key midfielder Amadou Haidara, who is suspended following a red card in their last match. There is positive news regarding injuries, as Sikou Niakate is back in training.

Tunisia’s head coach, Sami Trabelsi, has a nearly full-strength squad, with no suspensions reported. The main concern is Mohamed Ali Ben Romdhane, who suffered a knee injury, but initial assessments suggest it is not serious. Additionally, Elias Achouri is expected to return to full fitness soon after a minor injury.

Mali’s possible starting lineup:

Diarra; W. Coulibaly, Diaby, O. Camara, Gassama; Dieng, Doumbia, L. Coulibaly, Sangare, Bissouma; Sinayoko

Tunisia’s possible starting lineup:

Dahmen; Abdi, Talbi, Bronn, Valery; Skhiri, Gharbi, Mejbri; Achouri, Tounekti, Mastouri

AFCON 2025 Round of 16 fixtures – Saturday, 3 January 2026 
  • Mali vs Tunisia 20h00 local time / 19h00 GMT
    Stade Mohammed V, Casablanca
Senegal and Sudan last-16 Cup of Nations 2025 preview

Senegal and Sudan Last-16 Cup of Nations 2025 preview

Senegal aims to overcome the disappointment of being eliminated in the round of 16 of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations when they face Sudan at Grande de Tanger on Saturday.

The Terenga Lions performed admirably in the group stage, achieving a 3-0 victory over Botswana, a 1-1 draw with DR Congo, and a decisive win against Benin, concluding the group with seven points. They topped Group D thanks to their superior goal difference compared to DR Congo.

While Senegal’s strong performance in the first round has resulted in a more favourable matchup against Sudan, they are mindful of the potential challenges posed by their opponents.

In the previous edition of the tournament, Senegal was unexpectedly eliminated by the eventual champions, the Ivory Coast, at a similar stage.

Confidence is high for Senegal as they prepare to advance past Sudan, particularly given their status as one of the continent’s most in-form teams, with three victories in their last four matches (one draw). They have excelled offensively, scoring seven goals while conceding just one.

Sudan, on the other hand, has emerged as one of the surprise teams of this round, reaching the last 16 despite winning only one of their three group matches.

Their campaign began with a 3-0 defeat to Algeria, followed by a hard-fought 1-0 victory against Equatorial Guinea. They faced a setback in their final group match against Burkina Faso, losing 2-0. Nonetheless, their single win was sufficient to secure their place as one of the best third-placed teams.

Saturday’s match against Senegal presents a significant challenge for Sudan, particularly given their recent performance of just two wins in their last 15 matches.

In terms of head-to-head statistics, Senegal has historically dominated encounters with Sudan, winning all of their last seven meetings, which included four draws. Over these contests, Senegal has scored eight goals while Sudan has managed only one.

A key player to watch for Senegal is Nicolas Jackson, who made a noteworthy entrance into the tournament by scoring twice in their opening match. While he has not added to his goal tally since, the expectation is that he will seek to enhance his performance against a less competitive opponent on Saturday.

In terms of team composition, Senegal will be without captain Kalidou Koulibaly, who was sent off in their last match against Benin. Diao will also be unavailable due to a thigh injury, and Ilay Camara is sidelined with a muscle injury.

For Senegal, the probable lineup includes: Elneel, Awad, Saeed Ahmed, Karshom, Khamis, Taifour, Alhassan Omer, Nooh, Eisa, and Abdelrahman.

Sudan’s anticipated lineup features: Mendy, Jakobs, Niakhate, Seck, Diatta, P. Gueye, I. Gueye, Ndiaye, Mane, Sarr, and Jackson.

AFCON 2025 Round of 16 fixtures
Saturday, 3 January 2026 – Senegal vs Sudan, 17:00 –Grand Stade de Tangier